Chu-Cheng Hsieh teaches (TA) CS144 Web Application and CS143 Database System , and he is also a graduate student researcher (PhD candidate) in Computer Science department of University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), supervised by Professor John Cho. Before joining UCLA, he was enrolled in PhD program in Computer Science department of National Chia Tung University, Taiwan, between 2005~2007. Also, he got a M.S degree and a B.A. degree in Electronic Engineering department from National Taiwan University of Science and Technology in 2005 and 2001 respectively. With respect to his working experience, before entering UCLA, he was an researcher in Telecommunication Laboratories of Chunghwa Telecom Co., Ltd, Taiwan, and served as a lecturer in multiple universities in Taiwan. His current research interests include social web mining, recommender system, and user behavior modeling.
- Shopper modeling on E-commerce websites -- 2012
- Examining Popular News Prediction Perfomance on Twitter -- 2011
- Query by examples (a study of Wikipedia categories) -- 2010
- Product name extraction using data mining algorithm -- 2009
- Hierarchical extraction from text dataset -- 2008
- Opinion explorer from Blogs -- 2008
- Characteristic of Relation on Web Social Network (Facebook) -- 2007
- Paper (with Christopher Moghbel, Jianhong Fang, and Junghoo "John" Cho) – Experts vs The Crowd: Examining Popular News Prediction Performance on Twitter, (submit to) the 19th ACM SIGKDD Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining (KDD).
- Paper (with Youngchul Cha*, Bin Bi, and Junghoo "John" Cho) – Incorporating Popularity in Topic Models for Social Network Analysis, in Proceedings of the 36th Annual ACM Special Interest Group on Information Retrieval (SIGIR), 2013.
- Paper (with Junghoo "John" Cho) – Finding similar items by leveraging social tag clouds, in Proceedings of the Annual ACM Symposium on Applied Computing (SAC), March 2012.
- Paper (with Tzu-Yen Wang* and Chin-Hsiung Wu) – Detecting Unknown Malicious Executables Using Portable Executable Headers, in Proceedings of the 2009 Fifth International Joint Conference on INC, IMS and IDC, 2009
- Paper (with Tzu-Yen Wang* and Chin-Hsiung Wu) – A Virus Prevention Model Based on Static Analysis and Data Mining Methods, in Proceedings of the IEEE 8th International Conference on Computer and Information Technology, 2008
- Book – Visual Basic.Net Programming Handbook, May, 2005
- Thesis – Apply Machine Learning Theory to Classify Camouflage E-Mail, July, 2004
- Thesis – A Voice-Controlled Recording System, Best Graduated Thesis Award, July, 1999
- Report – A Multi-Function Electronic Clock implement by CPLD Tech, June,1997
- Researcher(User modeling), Search and Discovery team in eBay (2012 Summer)
- Researcher(Information Retrieval), National Center for Research (2011 Summer)
- Researcher(Data Mining), Center for Embedded Sensing of UCLA (2010 Summer)
- Researcher(Security/Data Mining), Core Research Team of Symantec Research Lab (Dec. 2009 ~ Jun. 2010)
- Research Internship in Search Team, Yahoo (2008 Summer, 2009 Summer)
- Founder & Senior IT Specialist (System Integration), XinWei Corporation, Taiwan (2004)
- Assistant Researcher, Information Security Lab., Chunghwa Telecom (2005-2007)
- Graduate Teaching Assistant, University of California, Los Angeles (Sep. 2008 ~ Present)
- Graduate Student Researcher, University of California, Los Angeles (Jan. 2008 ~ Present)
- Lecturer, National Taipei College of Business, Taiwan(Sep. 2006 ~ Jun. 2007)
- Lecturer, Minghsin University of Science and Technology, Taiwan (Sep. 2005 ~ Jun. 2007)
- Lecturer, Hsuan Chuang University, Taiwan (Sep. 2005 – Jun. 2007)
- Senior Instructor , Microsoft CTEC Education Center (Great Master Co., Ltd. , Taiwan) (May. 1999 ~ Sep. 2005 )
- Microsoft Certified Professional (VB & C# Programming Language)
- Sun Certified Programmer for the Java 2 Platform
- CIW Security Professional
- CIW Security Associate
- TQC Professional in database
- TQC Professional in Programming Language
- Certification of IT Lieutenant on Programming & Information System
- Program committee (invited by professor Wesley Chu), 18th Conference on Information and Knowledge Management (CIKM 2009)
- Reviewer, Third ACM International Conference on Web Search and Data Mining(WSDM 2010)
- The president, Taiwanese Student Association at UCLA(2008~2009)
- Vice Secretary-General, Chinese Computer Education Association(2004)
- Obligatory lieutenant (IT Professional), Armored division of the army, Taiwan (2001~2003)
- Office: Boelter Hall 4802, 420 Westwood Plaza, Los Angeles, CA 90024, USA
- Office Hour: drop by anytime, also by appointment.
Open source projects:
- tmarkdown: a template-supported markdown enhancement.
- TwitterCrawler: a multi-process safe, never-stop, self-recovery Twitter Crawler (based on keyword(s) filtering.
- My Blog: Chu-Cheng's Public Note (Blog) (This blog intends to document all computer science problem I encounter and the solutions/comments to them.)
- My Facebook: Facebook|Chu-Cheng Hsieh (Please send me email BEFORE you adding me as your friend. Otherwise, the request would be rejected automatically.)
- My LinkedIn: LinkedIn|Chu-Cheng Hsieh (Pleased add me only if we know each other.)
- My Plurk: Plurk written in Chinese (Please do NOT enter unless you can read Chinese)
I'm currently working as a graduate researcher in UCLA.